Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Cottage Cheese Smoothie

This is (so far) the only way I can stomach cottage cheese. Tastes like liquid cheese cake or something.

1/2 to 1 cup of cottage cheese
1-ish cup of frozen fruit
3 tablespoons (or more) of splenda
ice

Blend until smooth!
You can also add milk or yogurt if you want to drink it, otherwise it's pretty thick. (or let the ice melt). Also you can put whatever you like for fruit in. Banana, strawberries etc. I use a frozen mixed fruit I got at Costco and sometimes add a banana. I also want to try it with my chocolate protein powder. It's a great breakfast or snack. The key is in the cottage cheese and splenda. I don't really know how much of anything I put in, just adjust until it tastes good. I made it for my family and they insisted on tons and tons of milk and tons of strawberries so you could hardly taste the cheesecakeyness. I personally prefer no milk, only adding it if my blender gets stuck.
This makes about 300 calories worth (depending on milk fat % and exact quantities, this includes banana which is like half the calories almost but no protein powder) and it makes easily 2 servings (150 each) or a large snack you can sip for like an hour. it's got 34 g of protein and 50 g of carbs and with 1% cc and skim milk 4 g of fat.
It tastes like it's so bad for you but it's not, it's just fruit and cottage cheese. very healthy. If anybody else has a cottage cheese recipe, or a smoothie recipe or a go to recipe for something that seems bad but isn't please share!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 TABLESPOOONs of Splenda? Yah! Wet dirt would taste OK with that much Splenda. Sure you don't mean teaspoons? I used to eat my cottage with canned peaches with the light syrup, and I thought that was sweet...

Anonymous said...

too many calories for a drink for me sista. cottage cheese just isn't my thing. good idea tho.

Bri said...

Ooo, I like to eat it plain, maybe with pepper on it. Mmmm. Is there a reason you eat it even though you don't like it?

Randi said...

shan- yeah I guess it's a lot for a drink. but it's not really like a drink. it's like a meal. Very filling.
bri- I want to eat it because I'm trying to eat more protein throughout the day. Usually I'm only good for supper with some meat and breakfast if I have peanut butter. TRYING to have protein at every meal. CC sometimes helps.

Unknown said...

YUMMM...cottage cheese smoothie! Here is my recipe:
about 1/3 - 1/2 cup cottage cheese
a handfull of frozen blueberries
a handfull of frozen strawberries
1/2 to 3/4 cup apple juice with no added sugar
3-5 drops of Pure Stevia
Add ice to thicken (I usually don't add the ice)

it is sooooo yummy!

Anonymous said...

You really don't need all that artifical sweetner. If you want a low-carb/High protein smoothie that is sweet: Like to here it!Here it goes:

1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup Milk (1%,2% whatever floats you boat)
1 small very ripe banana, should have brown spots. The banana is going to be your natural sweetner. So you must use it when ripened.
5-6 ice cubes. Blend and drink.

I don't even like cottage cheese, but I love this! Enjoy

Anonymous said...

Try this: 1/2 c pomegranate juice, 1/2 c 2% cottage cheese and 1 c frozen strawberries. SO rich and creamy. No need to add sweeteners!