Friday, January 11, 2008

Highs and lows

I'm on a roller coaster here at work. Yesterday I left feeling really good about getting this memo out, then this morning I felt bad because the guy who reviewed it said it was a little "loose" for a final draft. Then I got a high again because talking to the big boss and he gave me a couple compliments and a bit of responsibility and a task that is a bit of a challenge but I can do. I'm sure something bad is coming right away. Sheesh.

Highs and lows on the weight front to. Mostly lows (in the high way...). I showed a gain of 0.2 or 0.4 this week. Boo me. The high comes in the part where i'm totally optimistic and excited. I got my book in the mail! woohoo! I gotta say so far it is really funny. It's written by Lou Schuler with workouts by Alwyn Cosgrove and nutrition by Cassandra Forsythe. So far I'm about 3 chapters in. And so far the "rules" are just about how women should lift heavy weights because there's not as much difference between men and women as we think. Best "rule" :
you lift weights to build muscle. Not to tone, sculpt or shape.

the tone, sculpt and shape business is crap. You can't get longer muscles, or change the shape of your muscles. Only the size. Take that ladies.

Haven't gotten to the workouts or the food stuff yet. But that's why I'm so stinking excited! Optimistic I guess. This is all "before" but once I start that, then I can expect some results. Meanwhile, WI didn't mean anything this morning.

I dunno what it is, but looking at some of the pictures of all the uber fit chicks (in magazines, this book, online, whatever. Picture the cover of Oxygen magazine) makes me realize just how freaking in shape I used to be. I used to have rippling back muscles and my leg still is very muscular. Some of the pictures I see and think "I used to look just like that" which is ridiculous because even when I was that strong, I didn't think it looked good. All I saw was the fat on top of it or in other key areas.

Anyway, weekend plans: read my book! also read some of the magazines I've bought lately. i'm a bit behind. A little minor house cleaning. And SLEEP! I tried to go to bed early last night, but with my new book, and Grey's being on it didn't work out that great. It was only regular time. Oh I forgot to tell you. I skipped the gym yesterday. I couldn't find a parking spot and I had to do a couple returns at walmart, plus I was starving already and sleepy, so I just said screw it and went home. To make up for it I took the dog for a walk at home. Plus I'm gonna try and go today after work. Sort of a bad attitude in this sense but until I read this book I feel like this is just "before" and it doesn't really matter. I know it's still good for me to just do SOMETHING however. That's why i'll go today. But I also know that my brain just needed a day off from it. I was tired of hurrying everywhere and having a giant to do list. Thank goodness it's the weekend now!

Oh and I think I might try and buy some new shoes this weekend from Brainsport. they're doing a sale that has to do with the temperature or something, -10 degrees, save 10% or something. Too bad we're above seasonal temperatures. This time last year could have easily been -30!

6 comments:

healthy ashley said...

Make sure to report back with more about the book.. it sounds interesting.

If you can't tone by lifting weights, then how do you tone?!

Angela Power said...

I really hope that you have a great weekend and you're starting to feel up (in the low way) ;-)

I can't wait to hear more about that book too. Thanks for sharing!

sherijung said...

I always thought that 'toning' and 'sculpting' were just sissified terms to avoid scaring off the girls from lifting weights. Do people really think that they can tone a muscle and not build it? Maybe it's just like 'running' versus 'jogging', really the same thing but a few people think they're different.

Angela Power said...

Hope you're feeling better today girl.

healthy ashley said...

Did you get the shoes?

I hope your weekend gets better!

Carolyn said...

I can't wait to hear all about the new book!
We want pics of the new shoes.
I've been reading a lot about getting shape and nutrition. I seemt o be obsessed with cookbooks lately and I've started a binder of a few dozen recipes that I plan on trying. 2 a week every week. I need to spice things up!