Wednesday, January 2, 2008

back to business

So I'm back at work after my lovely holidays. Boo work. yay holidays. Didn't even get 1 thing I wanted to done on my time off but that's how it always goes right? Never enough time in the holidays. At least it's a short week.

There's been some changes at work here now. Basically the whole company had gotten complacent and everyone was just putting in their time (definately me) and slacking on the job and doing the bare minimum. So the bosses have put some new incentives and stuff in place, not sure what it all is about yet. But after a speech at the prof dev day they've sort of put a new attitude in this place. So i'm coming to work earlier, leaving a little later (just to get my 8 hour work day in, I was like 7 before) and I'm working while at work (at least while I have something to do). I can tell you for sure that blogging is going to suffer. I've cleaned out my Reader and now I'm only reading my favorite blogs (don't worry, the only ones deleated are folks who've never commented on here before, plus they're boring or depressing, not like you darlings.) I'll probably only be posting at noon or maybe at home but I never feel like it there. And unless I've got a rant on, they'll probably be shorter and to the point. So sorry. ;)

But that's good in a way. I feel better when i'm productive and useful at work. Which brings me to #1 of new year's resolutions! yay!

1. Be a good employee. Work hard, you're smart, act like it.

2. Same line, stop procrastinating. Get the damn thesis done! Seriously with in weeks here. Just do it!

3. Take better care of my house. Weekly cleanings need to be reinstated.

the next two are couple ones for hubby and I

4. monthly dates with hubby. Don't have to be big deals, just 2 hours of just the 2 of us. movies, shopping, eating, skating, anything. But a connection time.

5. Rein in the spending. I want to stop using our line of credit and have at least $1000 in the bank. (as I told hubby, if 2008 is the year of saving, 2009 can be the year of spending. Hubby wants a tv and stuff. He can wait a year)

Finally the body stuff

6. Get a body that you're comfortable with in a bikini. I hate that it's vague like that. But I think it means weighing like 125. Of course along with this goes, wear a bikini all summer!

7. Do a race. Maybe a 5 or 10K or maybe a triathalon. I want to be fit not just skinny.

8. Keep up the strength stuff. I like what I'm doing here and don't have any specific goals (since I already got the chin-ups!)

Now are just a couple good person type things

9. Be a better friend. Don't wait for somebody to call me to do something. Go out of my way to think of them.

10. Do a minimum of 3 charitable/volunteery things by the year end. MS Bike Tour, maybe my race will be charity, and volunteer with something. I could do Big Sisters or soup kitchen stuff but I want to find something that's important to me. (open for suggestions) I will also encourage others to give blood as I faint every time I do it I just don't want to any more.

So there's 10 New Year's Resolutions. I'm going to print them out and hang them up where I'll see them occasionally. (not every day because you won't SEE them after a little while then)

Oh yeah, and I should mention, while I lost almost a pound over Christmas. I seemed to have gained 4 lbs in the last 5 days. I'll be back with an official weight this friday for regular weigh in. Also, hubby has said he's on the wagon and really wants to lose 20 lbs this year. So we had salads at McDonalds while we were shopping yesterday. But then last night he had popsicles and chips even though I made a comment. Baby steps I guess.

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

Gald to see you're back! I like the resolutions even though it means we'll be hearing less of you. No blogging at work? Not even a little bit? ;)

Ive got a efw extra pounds on but it's mroe than 4. I imagine it's mostly water weight but I know there are a least a couple of those pounds that are actually poundage....I can't eat whatever I want for 2 weeks and not expect a gain. I'm sure it will come off pretty quickly though. I say by the end of January I'll be back down where I am comfortable. right now I feel gross and jiggly. I hate that.

Time for the gym again. I kind of missed it actually.

Glad you're back and ready to kick some butt!

Angela Power said...

Hey Randi and happy new year! Your resolutions are really great ones!

Booo on the getting back to work, I hear ya girl, but I think it's great that you have being a good employee as one of your resolutions. I take pride at my job and enjoy it when I know that I'm doing well and being a good employee and it makes me feel better all around.

Kate said...

Don't think I've commented on your blog before, but been reading for awhile (I found you through my friend Carolyn).

Sounds like you have some great goals for the new year, and I'm sure you will get there!

Congrats on the not huge gain (although the mysterious gain recently!), I gained about 4 over the holidays, so I will be working off the holiday pounds!

Sonya said...

I hate when you actually have to work at work! lol...

Great resolutions hun. All the best in accomplishing all your goals.

Anonymous said...

good resolutions girlie. :)

Swizzlepop said...

I hate not having the time to blog at work but totally understand and I like your goal of being a petter employee. I think I need to adopt that again. Great goals and totally realistic. I've been procrastinating posting ,ine but I think I need to get on it before it gets too late.
The husband and I decided that we are going to start donating to animal shelters and/or endangered species foundations.
Can't wait to hear what you decide on.
Happy New Year!

eurydice said...

hooray, you're back. good luck with your goals this year. i need to post some of my own. and i'm very intrigued about this google reader thingy - i have been clicking on individual blogs everyday... am i crazy?

Vanessa said...

Best of luck with your goals this year!

Superjayman's Battle of the Bulge said...

Funny how we both posted about "baby steps"....Weird

Tammy said...

Welcome back to blogland, Randi. I think your resolutions sound great. I made a few but really need to make a few more I think. My main ones are to get more organized so that everything falls into place and then I set some tangible work out goals. I reached my goal weight on New Year's Day and am actually today below my goal, so it's nice not to have to put "lose weight" on my resolution list. Have a great day and work hard--make them know that they can't live without you ;)