Friday, December 14, 2007

work is going so much better!

I was avoiding work hard all week (and we're starting a new billable hours thing so that SUCKS!) but today it's all of a sudden a lot better. I really have to learn to ask for help much sooner. I just hate talking to people, but I always feel better afterwards.

Speaking of hating talking to people. Why is my first instinct when invited to a Christmas party to try and find a way out of it? I was invited to a potluck next tuesday with a bunch of grad study *friends*. Sorta like past work friends I guess. They're not close friends whom I do stuff with regularly, but the twice a year kind of friends. I'd have fun. I like them, it's good to catch up on stuff. But I replied saying I can't, lying saying my dad was in town. But then I re-replied saying oh, nevermind, dates mixed up, sure I'll come. (I had to talk myself into that re-reply). I'm not completely comfortable with those people I know that. (at my thesis supervisor's house, and he's an awesome guy, but it's sort of like, why aren't you done yet? oops) Plus hubby doesn't like them because he has issues about being inadequate. I think they're his issues because everyone there is very nice to him and asks him about work and I don't think they're being degrading and they'll talk about what he wants to talk about. But he always puts on some kind of act and tells jokes and I can tell he's uncomfortable. They've all got advanced degrees and hubby works at a lumber yard. (mind you he's very very good at his job and just recently got a raise and a promotion and I know he basically runs the show at the company). It's sort of the same as how I feel when I'm with all these people...wait nevermind. I'm totally always the "superior" one! sounds vain but true! I've got the advanced degree (almost), I'm making more money (thought it's not a lot), I've already got a house and husband and car paid off. We don't have any credit card debt. Hardly any line of credit debt (which I blame hubby for entirely). I'm healthy, in shape, have nice hair. Gosh I'm great...

I have a very healthy self worth?

I guess it's how I feel when I go shopping with skinny people. They don't say anything to make you feel bad on purpose and probably even tell you that you look really cute trying stuff on and are even genuine, but then they buy the size 2's or smalls or whatever and you instantly feel uncomfortable with your large and 6-8s. NOW you guys know what I mean right?

But I decided to go to that potluck, don't know what I'll bring, the only thing I'm super pro at is appetizers. Everything else is meh, it's ok. And I've been given no instructions as to main course, side dish, dessert anything. So I'm wide open for suggestions of what's your awesomest potluck dish that makes you look like a hero (but then give me the recipe so I get to look like a hero and steal your glory). They can even be completely terrible for you, I don't have to worry about other people's health do I? ;)

Also, tell me why I wanted to get out of going? What's with that?

3 comments:

Mandy Harbin said...

Okay. The world knows I'm not much of a cook. But you should check out this gal: thepioneerwomancooks.com

She has really yummy looking stuff and it seems pretty easy to make. (don't tell anyone but I made her chocolate sheet cake last weekend and it was just to die for)

Plus she makes me giggle. :o)

Have a Great Weekend!!

Vanessa said...

You wanted to get out of going because it's outside of your comfort level :). Good for you for deciding to go, I hope you have a great time!

Angela Power said...

I catch myself wanting to say no first too. It's good that you changed your mind.

I was a pot lock superhero on the weekend when I made these meatballs. You can double the recipe if you want to make more. One recipe is approx 3 doz meatballs I think:

Balls:
1 lbs ground beef
1/2c bread crumbs
1/2-3/4c milk
3 egg yolks
1 medium onion, grated
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2c fresh parsley, chopped finely
salt & pepper
sprinkle of nutmeg
parmesan cheese

Mix the bread crumbs and milk in a separate bowl and let crumbs absorb milk.

Mix together beef, grated onion, garlic, egg yolks, parsley, salt & pepper, nutmeg and parmesan cheese. Add the bread cumbs (they should be a pasty consistency).

Don't overmix, but just until combined. Form little balls (marble sized work best for potlucks). Bake at 400F until cooked through and turn over to brown the sides. ABout 15 mins depending on how many trays you got going on in the oven.

Sauce:
1 bottle keinz chili sauce
1 jar grape jelly
2-3 tbsp corn starch.

Mix the chili sauce and jelly in a sauce pan and stir while heating. Let melt together and reduce to thinken up. If it doesn't thicken the way you like it, take about 3/4c of the sauce and mix the corn starch in it until smooth and then add that to the pot and continue stirring.

I let the meatballs rest on paper towel until they were almost cool to drain fat and then put them back in the oven covered in the sauce on low heat until they are all bubbly and aweseome.

>>>These are not low cal by any means, but they were a hit for sure!