Friday, November 9, 2007

November 11

So this Sunday is November 11th, Remembrance Day. And I think just about everybody (in Canada) has Monday as a holiday. Yay! However the reason we get a day off is because November 11th is an important day. It's not just so we can get a jump on Christmas shopping or an extra day to get used to the time change. It's so we can remember all those who fought for Canada. My grandpa was in the Air Force doing some kind of radar thing in WWII. That's how he met my grandma, while he was stationed in England. So I can't really say how it's so bad that he had to be away from his family serving his country because that's how he started his family. But a lot of veterans (and currently serving soldiers) aren't so lucky. I know it completely breaks my heart when I hear anything about an army wife at home with the kids. Or hear about military men coming home to meet their son or daughter for the first time because they were born while they were stationed away. (not just men but women too of course).

So I do think it's ok to enjoy the football games and get some shopping in and start doing Christmas thinking. But I hope you all wear a poppy this weekend while you do it, and I hope that on the eleventh hour, on the eleventh day, in the eleventh month you take a full minute to remember and thank the men and women who have fought and are fighting so we can carry on our Christmas shopping and sleeping in with out a greater care.

4 comments:

tash said...

My grandfather (who is now passed away) served in WWII too. He stormed the beaches of Normanday on D-Day - and than came home to meet my grandmother and father 7 children, one of which became my father.

I always take some to on rememberance day to remember him.

Anonymous said...

I so agree. My grandpa was in the WWII too and I have been thinking about him so much lately. I miss him. He was a hero until he passed away in his little town. It bugs me so much when ppl say it is a bank holiday on Monday. So rude.

eurydice said...

it's monday now so how come i'm at work! argh!

Carolyn said...

Thanks for the reminder. I totally agree with out. It's important to remember that it's not just another long weekend. My grandfather was also in WWII and he met his wife while he was station in Scotland and he brought her back to Canada when the war was over. I remember it was always such a romantic story when they used to tell it. To find something so amazing in such a desperate time.