Thursday, November 8, 2007

Swiz you busted me!

Oh a direct question makes a direct hit. Swizzlepop asked me how I track my food and maybe something's up when I workout as hard as I do but am not losing. Well here's the secret:
I don't count.

You all know I'm not WW. But I do sometimes talk about calories. Well I'm guessing. I do look up individual foods when I'm curious. But I don't count everything I eat. Periodically I do log a whole week on Fitday. But my problem with that is it didn't have all my food so I had to sort of guess it with what was in there anyway. Those times showed me I tend to eat around 1600 - 1800 calories. I know it's more than a lot of you eat but frankly I have a lot of muscle mass. (am I fooling myself here?) I do eat more fat than I should, because of my peanut butter addiction. But in my defence I usually eat in a real "core" type way. As in my food choices can't be beat (except cookie debaucles). No granola bars, 100 calorie packs, anything like that. Every snack from waking up until home from work is either fruit, fat free yogurt or light cheese. Breakfast and lunches are always portion controlled and I don't feel bad about a thing in them (maybe it's because my scale sense is uncalibrated). Suppers I do know are a problem with over eating, basically portions and not enough veggies. I know I know. But I don't snack at night at all (except for post workout proteins sometimes). I think i'm doing alright.

But why aren't I losing then?

My once in awhile slip ups are not frequent enough to cause this.

It's all portions I think. How many fruit a day is too much? I eat 1.5 cups of grapes, a pear or apple, 1 cup of pineapple a day. Plus 1.5 cups of carrots and celery with hummus dip (only 50 calories of dip). Is that too much? How about when it's with a mini source yogurt (50 cal), a string cheese (70 cal)? And also 2 toasts with peanut butter and jam (!) and 2 cups of homemade hamburger soup, with something like a chicken stir fry with lots of veggies or a homemade hard shelled tacos? And then another pear or another yogurt? That's a very typical day for me. where's the problem? sometimes I eat 20 almonds a day. Is that bad?

I see one problem in the toast with peanut butter and jam. I can change my breakfasts. I used to eat good breakfasts, but when I ran out of tomatoes I stopped. Back at it I guess! Eureka moment? I've recently started eating my Kashi cereal again, which I do measure every now and then with skim milk. (it's too hard and crunchy for me usually but I've started pouring my milk and then packing my lunch and then eating, now it's good).

Another problem I have is right around supper. I'm usually starving while I'm making it and snack on something. Problem is, I don't know what I snack on. I can't remember! but I know I rumage around for a long time trying to find something not too bad. I should just have some grapes on the cupboard with me cooking. anybody else have a good solution for this? I'm definately going to eat something. baby carrots?

Same thing happens after supper. I need to get the supper taste out of my mouth (I don't know why) so I eat something for dessert. Like a yogurt or fruit, but sometimes it's been a cookie or chocolate covered apricots. I think I need to brush my teeth as soon as I'm done eating. I'll try that next time.

Will that do it? I dunno, am I really eating too many calories of fruit and veggies? I know I don't eat a lot of leafy greens but that comes and goes in spurts.

On a different note. I had the soup salad and half wrap from East Side Mario's for lunch. Smallest bowl ever of Italian wedding soup, some gross iceburg lettuce with a couple cherry tomatoes and a house dressing (maybe 1 tbsp) and half a wrap with chicken and veggies and cheese. I didn't really pay much attention to what was in the wrap honestly. probably some kinda sauce too.

Swiz again you're right, I know food isn't a reward. And i'm not really thinking of that a chocolate bar tomorrow night as a reward. It's just something I get on friday. a planned splurge I guess. Though it is incentive to eat well before hand, knowing I get that later. You're right, food isn't a reward, I've never rewarded myself with food before and I'm not doing that now. Thanks for the ass kicking. I need it sometimes. Especially when I'm telling myself I don't know why I'm showing a 2 lb gain. (though I really hope it goes away tomorrow anyway)

5 comments:

Swizzlepop said...

Okay I now challenge you to LOG ALL YOUR FOOD! I have no idea how fitday works but I know that Spark people has you fill in some info including starting weight, goal, how you work out and then it gices you a menu to follow OR just gives you ranges and you enter your log your own food. You can also enter the foods that you regularly eat and add them to your favorites to easily pic from daily. It's free and super easy and lets you log your work outs too. If you are up for it I challenge you to sign up and log EVERYTHING you eat, EVERY DAY for 2 weeks, log your work outs too. And post your calories/protein/fat etc daily. Including what your ranges are. This will help you figure out hat is going on and maybe even be an eye opener. Sometimes I do it mentally and think I'm fine until I start loggin stuff then realize that that a bit of this and a quarter cup of that add up and I'm over for the day. Also get soem measuring cups and spoons and measure EVERYTHING for those 2 weeks. A scale helps too, I use a postal scale because that is what we happene to already have at home.

And if you don't want to post the food info daily then email it to me so that I hold you accountable. I really think this will help you! I know you like to win so come on, do this and win by learning more abotu your body and what makes you lose.

eurydice said...

I ordered this crazy powdered peanut butter from the states and it's GOLD!

you have to buy 4 containers at a time - but even with shipping it wasn't that bad. and it lasted a long time.

and you can add more water for *more* peanut butter, although it is runnier, but spreadable.

it has 75% less calories than regular peanut butter.

http://www.bellplantation.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=54

Adora said...

Oooo, nice bust there, Swiz.
I will agree with the point she makes about it possibly being an eye opener for you. When I don't log everything, I tend to FORGET things I've eaten and then think it's ok to have an extra whatever with dinner. I weigh and measure about half of the time, but I only started slacking off once I realized I could eyeball it dead-on. Now I only do it to spot check myself or when I eat something new.

I really think this is a great idea - and at the very least, you'll be able to further narrow down where the problem lies. You can do it!!

Lindsay said...

definately log EVERYTHING! when i dont log everything i stay the same.. i find when i log each night, i have more success! i guess when you log later in the week (at least for me) i forget little things, like that cracker i had on mondays lunch, or that apple i munched on when i was hungry before supper, stuff like that!
SO TRACK EVERYDAY.. lol that is all!

Carolyn said...

I totally reward myself with food. Not all of the time but sometimes. I don't really see a problem with it if you keep it in moderation. If I have a chocolate bar in the cupboard and keep it there all week, I'll turn down other sweets and have that extra motivation to say No if I know that I have a nice little treat waiting for me at home. Maybe it's not exactly "Healthy beahvior" but it works for me and it keeps me in check throughout the week if I know I have a little "reward" coming on Friday or Saturday!