Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Yesterday

So yesterday's food (this is how it will be coming, the next day. Don't worry, I did log it)

cal: 1807
fat: 41
prot: 70
carbs: 207
fibre: 26
sodium: 2259

Fairly good day, bit high in calories. But it was snack day at work and I had a store bought muffin, those are always more cal's than they should be. Plus supper wasn't well planned. It was going to be leftovers of something but the dog got at my spaghetti first. So I made a pizza bagel. a little sauce, salami, and cheese on half a bagel. Yum. So proud that I didn't eat both halves, got the other for lunch today. And then had a ton of coleslaw on the side. just a little bit of dressing since I don't like it soggy.

Hubby came home last night. yay! I missed him. SIL and her bf tend to do their own thing so it leaves me at home feeling like a single parent or something with Daisy. Hubby commented that whenever he comes home after being gone even for a little while I'm ready to kill Daisy. Well she's bad and a lot to handle on your own all the time. Be careful when getting smart dogs with lots of energy!

Went to the gym on my way home as well. It was super packed so I didn't get a machine for as long as I wanted. Ran fast on the treadmill for 7 minutes, then did chin ups (totally getting better at this, it'll be pretty tight to do unassisted by Christmas though, we'll see) then did stair climbing for 15 minutes. At least I went I guess right? I sweated too.

So for the old Christmas Challenge. We mentioned before about getting some healthier baking recipes. But nobody responded? Hello? Are you saying that baking in itself is inherantly bad? Well sorta I guess. But you're still gonna eat it. So i'm putting the call out one more time:
What can you make for Christmas baking that's "healthier" than regular?
I'll start us off. I don't know how healthy this is exactly and i'm sure you've all heard it before, but it's all I can remember here at work.
Brownies!
It's sort of cheating but you use a brownie mix. The whole box.
Also, take a can of black beans, throw them in the blender (you can rinse them, but then replace the "juice" with water to the same level in the can). Mush 'em up.
Forget the brownie directions, just put the black beans with the brownie mix and mix them up! Bake according to the directions (so I guess don't forget them completely). They taste pretty darn good. But there is something up with them. What I'd do is make a regular batch and a bean batch and combine them. Or else you could put some icing on them to add extra sweetness (that's all that's really wrong, they don't taste that sweet.) I think calories are still high-ish, but they've got protein and fibre in them and not a lot of fat now.
There ya go! 1 in the bag (or recipe box). I'll come up with some more tonight maybe. I'm dying for a healthy shortbread recipe (all it is is butter and sugar and flour!) but I guess I can be happy they're small cookies at least. Your turn!

4 comments:

sherijung said...

I guess I just don't like the whole concept of making Christmas baking healthier. It's once a year, just use some portion control, share liberally with all your friends and family, and enjoy! I'd rather have a small portion of a really good cake or cookie than a bigger portion of something that doesn't taste as good.

But for your brownie recipe, maybe you could add some Splenda to sweeten it up. Your idea for adding the beans is similar to the idea of mushing up veggies and adding to various foods as a sneaky way of getting kids to eat veggies.

Unknown said...

That's a great idea for the brownies!

I don't do any Christmas baking, just indulge on Christmas day when I go to my parents house. Its nice though, I don't have the temptations at my place to deal with! I can't have sweets in my house, healthy or not, AT ALL. I'm an animal.

I think I'll use this brownie idea though, sometime - maybe when we're expecting friends in town or something.

Cory said...

You're doing pretty good logging your stuff! Keep it up!

I haven't sent in a recipe because I already donated my healthy recipe earlier in the challenge! I'll send in something if I come up with something else, but I don't really cook at the holidays!

Angela Power said...

Well that's something I never thought I'd ever see...beans in brownies! lol I tried the Hungry Girl recipe where they put pumpkin pie filling in the brownie mix and that is another way to make healthier brownies, but I'm tellin' ya, they were YUCK, but then again I don't like pumpkin. My dad ate them all up though!