Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Perhaps I spoke too soon

Well I know it's only been like 4 days but I am experiencing a lifetime worth of diet emotions. I've already had the "whoppie! It's working! I rock!" then this weekend I had the "Well I already screwed up so I'm blowing the whole day" (which I've never had before and didn't understand back before I started counting things) and now I'm back on the wagon. in 4 days. Really.

So I already mentioned the I rock part in my last post. But the I fell of the wagon part I didn't tell you about. Here it is:

Saturday night supper was just a bagel with light cream cheese, not too healthy but that was it so I was ok with it. But then I decided to have a snack when I was watching my movie that night. I had some chips, eek! But I measured them out and thought that would be an ok thing. ok fine. So that was a minor falling off the wagon but in a planned way.

But then was Sunday was a disaster. I couldn't even tell you what I ate because I have no idea. I ate some of all of this: toast, yogurt, chili, spinach artichoke dip, brown sugar biscuits, veggie cream cheese pizza things on pitas (individually very healthy appetizer thing. i'll post recipe below. 9 hundred of them? not healthy any more), guacamole and chips, cheese. I'm sure there was more but like I said I just wasn't even keeping track, just eating. It was a football party, I made all the food so it's my own fault. But I like entertaining and I like eating these things but I can only do it when there's lots of other people there to eat it because leftovers are a bad idea. Good thing is I didn't really eat supper, just all sorts of little appetizer things.

Now before when I wasn't keeping track of things and posting in Spark, I'd do something like this and just eat a few, stick to my healthier options and enjoy the game. This time however, I was trying to remember everything I was eating but finally was like, there's no way I can remember all this stuff and I know it's going to be a bad day (though sort of planned) so what would I learn from this food anyway, I'm not going to post it. So since I already had that attitude I stopped thinking about what I was eating, and instead of "I'm full, I don't need this." or "This is unhealthy, find something else" it was "I'm already not tracking, I might as well have it". I've never had that before and it's sort of upsetting. I never used to get the All or Nothing approach. And while it wasn't a "I blew my diet so I might as well pig out" but more of the keeping track thing, it still gave me the Nothing attitude. Ew.

Then yesterday was a holiday for me, and I was home alone pretty much all day, doing some more sewing (I'll post pictures tonight, hubby's got the camera hunting) I just wanted it to feel like a holiday so I didn't keep track either. I bad me, I know. But at least I didn't eat poorly yesterday. Food group wise it was pretty carb heavy, but it was low fat and calories and healthy food choices, just a lot of breakfast foods, (cereal for supper, toast for breakfast and snack). Thank goodness there was still a kickboxing class last night. Made me feel like getting back on track.

So I had a bad day. I can live with it. I fell off the tracking wagon, I can live with that too as I'm back on today. The scale this morning read 138.8, so that still a loss from Friday but a gain from saturday (stupid 1 lb in a day saturday). So hopefully I did no permanent damage and maybe some crazy shake-up to my metabolism or something and I'll keep losing. it's already tuesday so I don't have a full week left to work at it though.

Anyway here's the little veggie pizza things I made. If somebody wants to analyze them for nutrition that's cool. It's from Pampered Chef but slightly modified. You know those mini pitas you can get? I used those for the crust instead of the crescent rolls. 1 mini pita is only 40 calories.

package of mini pitas (18 I think)
package of light cream cheese
1 tbsp of fat free miracle whip
dill
garlic
chopped up (tiny!) broccolli, cauliflower, carrots, cucumber, pepper, tomato (maybe 2 cups? maybe more?)

Mix cream cheese, miracle whip, dill and garlic, spread on top of each pita, sprinkle veggies on (press down a bit to make 'em stick). Voila! Each pita is actually pretty filling, and 2 pitas would satisfy you for an afternoon snack. Even with all my pigging out, I think I probably only ate 4 of these over the full football game and that was what I ate the most of.

Forgot to mention, I just drank diet coke all day. But not enough water all weekend.

So I ended up making a skirt. Very cute. I had to adjust the pattern a bit because of my lack of hips and abundance of waist. But it doesn't look like that when it's on! In fact it's still a bit too tight, I can pose cute but barely move. So I'm hoping to drop a few cms in the waist before Christmas parties and that's what I'm gonna wear. Gotta buy a shirt to go with it still.

I also decided to sew some snowmen for my MIL who collects snowmen. All day monday that's what I was working on (and watching tv and cleaning house etc). I only got 1 snowman done but it's super cute and I got another cut out. I'll post a picture of that too.

All in all I had a really good weekend. Of course it seemed too short, (can't remember much of saturday, feel like I wasted it). But now I can start thinking of Christmas! yay! Hopefully when hubby comes home from hunting (he called this morning and got his deer so he'll be home tonight) we can start decorating. (did I mention that hubby and his dad and his dad's friends were over for the football party sunday? can't hunt on sundays.) Did I also mention that the Rider's won! We're in the Western Semifinals! Woo hoo!

Anyway I might post later, I want to go catch up with you guys now.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

I can tell you about being all-or-nothing! Sadly, that is me to a tee. That's why once I decide to do something, I am super successful. I am sure you will end up fine for the week. Remember, you have to eat an extra 3500 calories to gain a pound. Overdoing it one weekend won't generally do that. I'll bet you will shake up your metabolism a bit instead :) Just get back on the wagon and wait a couple of weeks to shake it up again, LOL. Have a great week!

noelle said...

I agree with Tammy that it takes A LOT of extras to really gain weight. I find though that those binges can set me up for days and days of eating poorly. I think my body is totally craving water but I just feed it more crap. After doing that for an entire week, I do gain weight.

Thankfully with WW I have done a lot better with that all or nothing attitude. I'm sure your routine will get you right back on track!

I tried spark people yesterday too. what a pain to enter all of that!

sherijung said...

Oh no, all or nothing! I agree, one day will not undo too much, unless you let it lead to another day and another day.

Mentally you should remind yourself that it's not a choice between tracking and going off track. I try to either track or have a maintenance practice day. But if I want to seriously lose weight, I need to stay focused and track. That's just how it is. I tried not tracking, and I don't lose well.

Candace MacPherson said...

Wow, a skirt that quickly. It would have taken me, like, forever and it would have definately looked homemade. I simply sucked in home-ec.

Carolyn said...

Can't wait to see some pics!
Sounds like you had a pretty productive weekend. Don't even worry about those little splurges, I had a ton of them this weekend. You can't be perfect all the time right? You probably splurged way less than you would have before you started eating healthy and watching what you eat right?

Your so crafty! Wish i could sew. I can sew a button on and that's about it.

Those little pita appetizers look so good! What a great idea! I'll try those out next time we have a party. Thanks for the idea!

We need to e-mail some ideas for the recipe exchange, it's such a great idea. Especially during this time of year. All I want to do is spend time in the kitchen doing holiday things!

Unknown said...

i have been falling off the calorie counting wagon as well. It is so annoying sometimes :-) But it works!

Once you stay on the wagon for a few more days you will be fine and feel much better!

Angela Power said...

FH is an all or nothing kind of guy in almost every aspect of his thinking. I've been challenging this forever. I'm not an all or nothing thinker, but lately I've had the same uncomfortable feelings. I have been at this for 1 year and 9 months and I was full steam ahead until about June and I haven't quite gotten back that same no-nonsense edge of commitment that I had during the most difficult time of my life! I mean, we KNOW better, we KNOW the difference and we can spot an excuse from a mile away and that's the part that worries me about this.